Saturday 11 December 2021

TWISTED LINES

 After finishing work i headed to the lakes for a couple hours of fishing,i was just coming coming to the end of fordwich lakes when a man stopped and asked if i got a knife as a barn owl was caught up in a tree,i had a pair of baird cutters and snips in my bag,so we quickly headed back to the owl,to my amazement it was a tawny owl




this is the scene that greeted me [photos taken by mandy mccarthy]so me and her husband who happens to be the mayor of fordwich help me with this tangled mess,she was very calm as i took her down must of known i was helping her,few photos of the mess she was in










we do not know how long she had been there for,but we soon had her free,i was a great honour to being able to hold her and brush her head she was calm all the time,i let her go when she was ready,some how i just knew the time was right couple of beats of her wings she was gone unharmed and not even a broken feather,i have contacted the club about line laying around an no reply 
i just had take my own photo something to remember this moment by,i did caught a pike after all that



3 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

A terrible thing to happen to the Owl however a great outcome to untie her and see her unharmed flying away. Have a great week ahead.

Mike H said...

Well done mate your natural love of wildlife and it's protection does you proud.

Dylan Wrathall said...

Mark, that is a superb post mate and well done for your efforts. Sadly anglers are their own worst enemies where bankside litter is concerned. Discarded nylon. empty dead bait/boily packets, not to mention the general rubbish of bottles, cans and food wrappers. It's a bloody joke, except it isn't due to the very direct impact it has upon the wildlife sharing the habitat. C&DAA are no more able to control the issue than any other angling club. It will require a major effort to convince those "low life's" who think that the countryside exists for them to dispose of unwanted litter wherever they please that it is socially and morally wrong. Until then, I will continue to include a litter picker and a plastic sack as part of my tackle. I'm embarrassed by the crap I find when out with the rods and will not leave without tidying the swim(s) I've occupied. I'll email you soon about possible dates for a social - Dylan